|I am a Professor in Atmospheric Sciences in the School of GeoSciences and a member of the contemporary climate research group and the Population Health and Research Place group. My official university staff page can be found here.
My research interests lie in the areas of modelling global, regional and urban-scale air pollution and its impacts on human health and
in climate-chemistry interactions and how these are influenced by Climate Change and year-to-year variations in climate. My current projects focus on London, Glasgow, Beijing and Delhi.
Before I came to Edinburgh university, I worked in the field of Climate Change research at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, UK and in the Institute for Study of the Environment at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, USA.
Teaching: I lecture courses on Atmospheric Dynamics, Meteorology: Weather and Climate, Natural Hazards: Meteorological hazards.
My research interests are:
- Modelling atmospheric composition and air quality at global and regional scales: climate-chemistry interactions, intercontinental transport of air pollution
- Air quality and human health impacts
- Climate change/variability and its influence on air pollution and human health
Recent and Current Projects:
Air pollution and Weather-related health impacts: methodological study based on Spatio-temporally disaggregated multi-pollutant models for present-day and future (AWESOME) (multi institutional NERC EEHI initiative).
- Coupled Urban and Regional proceses: Effects on AIR quality (NERC) CureAir
- A new integrated decision-making tool for urban health and policy evaluation QCumber-envHealth
- An Integrated Study of AIR Pollution PROcesses in Beijing (AIRPRO)
- Air Pollution Impacts on Cardiopulmonary Disease in Beijing: An integrated study of Exposure Science, Toxicogenomics and Environmental Epidemiology (APIC)
- Air pollution, pollen, asthma and hayfever and their interactive effect on cognitive development: environment & health data linkage feasibility study SEE REPORT
- Environmental determinants of IVF treatment
- Air Quality Climate Services for China (Newton Fund, UK Met Office)
- Task Force on Hemispheric transport of Air pollution: phase II climate change impacts on air pollution
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate Model Intercomparison Project (ACCMIP)
Current Staff and PhD Students
- CSSP China "Air Quality Scoping Services" - Kai Wan
- Air quality in Beijing's haze and urban environment (PhD student: Michael Biggart)
- Air pollution in the Pearl River Delta region of China: its chemical environment and the impacts of long-range transport (PhD student: Zhenze Liu)
- The influence of the East Asian monsoon on haze and air quality in China(PhD student: Zixuan Jia)
Former PhD Students
- Impacts of emission control policies and climate change on air quality over Europe (PhD student: Jamie Kelly)
- Air Pollution control measures and Climate Change effects on Multi-Pollutants and their Health Impacts (PhD student: Sara Fenech)
- Lightning and tropospheric ozone in global models: present-day and future (Declan Finney)
- Investigation of the climate-related dynamics of ammonia emission, dispersion & deposition (Andrea Moring)
- Linking mid-latitude storms, atmospheric composition and climate variability (Emma Knowland)
- Performing climate change vulnerability assessments at the local level in Scotland (Marta Soares)
- Investigating the effect of farmerland-use decisions on rural landscapes using an agent-based model approach (Eleni Karali)
- Simulating the carbon cycling of croplands - model developments, diagnosis, and regional application through data assimilation (Oliver Sus)