|I am a Professor in Atmospheric Sciences in the School of GeoSciences and a member of the contemporary climate research group. My official university staff page can be found here.
My research interests lie in the area of modelling climate-chemistry interactions and how these are influenced by Climate Change and year-to-year variations in climate. Before I came to Edinburgh university, I worked in the field of Climate Change research at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, UK and in the Institute for Study of the Environment at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, USA.
Teaching: I lecture courses on Atmospheric Dynamics, Meteorology: Weather and Climate, Natural Hazards: Meteorological hazards.
My research interests are:
- Modelling atmospheric composition and air quality at global and regional scales: climate-chemistry interactions, intercontinental transport of air pollution
- Air quality and human health impacts
- Climate change/variability and its influence on air pollution and human health
- Air pollution and Weather-related health impacts: methodological study based on Spatio-temporally disaggregated multi-pollutant models for present-day and future (AWESOME) (multi institutional NERC EEHI initiative). In this project we use the EMEP4UK model. See also our previous project: Impacts of Future Environmental Change on Climate- and Air Pollution-Mediated Human Health and HPA report on health effects of climate change in the UK.(NERC Environment and Human Health).
- Coupled Urban and Regional proceses: Effects on AIR quality (NERC) CureAir
- A new integrated decision-making tool for urban health and policy evaluation QCumber-envHealth
- An Integrated Study of AIR Pollution PROcesses in Beijing (AIRPRO)
- Air Pollution Impacts on Cardiopulmonary Disease in Beijing: An integrated study of Exposure Science, Toxicogenomics and Environmental Epidemiology (APIC)
- Air pollution, pollen, asthma and hayfever and their interactive effect on cognitive development: environment & health data linkage feasibility study
- Environmental determinants of IVF treatment
- Task Force on Hemispheric transport of Air pollution: phase II climate change impacts on air pollution
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate Model Intercomparison Project (ACCMIP)
Current Staff and PhD Students
- CureAir - Ian MacKenzie
- Impacts of emission control policies and climate change on air quality over Europe (PhD student: Jamie Kelly)
- Air Pollution control measures and Climate Change effects on Multi-Pollutants and their Health Impacts (PhD student: Sara Fenech)
- Air quality in Beijing's haze and urban environment (PhD student: Michael Biggart)
Former PhD Students
- Linking mid-latitude storms, atmospheric composition and climate variability (Emma Knowland)
- Lightning and tropospheric ozone in global models: present-day and future (Declan Finney)
- Investigation of the climate-related dynamics of ammonia emission, dispersion & deposition (Andrea Moring)
- Performing climate change vulnerability assessments at the local level in Scotland (Marta Soares)
- Investigating the effect of farmerland-use decisions on rural landscapes using an agent-based model approach (Eleni Karali)
- Simulating the carbon cycling of croplands - model developments, diagnosis, and regional application through data assimilation (Oliver Sus)