Dr. J.C.M. de Hoog (Cees-Jan)
EMMAC Research Fellow
School of GeoSciences
James Hutton Road
Edinburgh, EH9 3FE
tel +44 131 650 8525
lab +44 131 640 4850
fax +44 131 650 7340
||Field excursion Western Alps 2009
behaviour of volatiles and fluid-mobile elements in subduction zones, geochemistry and petrology of mafic and ultramafic (metamorphic) rocks, trace-element partitioning between minerals, mantle petrology and geothermobarometry, volcanology and igneous petrology, in-situ analytical techniques (SIMS and ICP-MS)
- Sept 2009 onwards EMMAC research fellow at the Ion Microprobe Facility in the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Edinburgh, UK
- 2006-2009 research associate and ICP-MS lab manager in the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Oxford, UK
- 2002-2006 postdoc and ICP-MS lab manager at University of Gothenburg, Sweden, with Dave Cornell
- 2001-2002 postdoc at University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, with Keiko Hattori
- 1991-2001 M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Geochemistry at University of Utrecht, The Netherlands with Manfred van Bergen
- Behaviour of volatiles and fluid-mobile elements during dehydration of subducting serpentinites. Collaborative project with Eleri Simpson, Linda Kirstein and Geoff Bromiley (Edinburgh), K. Hattori (University of Ottawa), Jason Harvey (University of Leeds), Baptiste Debret (Cambridge)
- Tracing deep subduction through the boron isotope signature of oceanic island basalts. Collaborative project with Kristina Walowski and Linda Kirstein (Edinburgh), Tim Elliott (Bristol), Ivan Savov (Leeds). Part of NERC-funded Habitable Planet consortium.
- Trace element geochemistry of olivine from mantle rocks: applications to geothermobarometry and mantle petrogenesis. This project is now extended to olivine inclusions in diamonds (collaboration with Thomas Stachel, University of Alberta).
- Into the subduction channel : petrological, geochemical and thermomechanical constraints on subduction processes and plate-slab coupling. Project in Zermat-Saas unit, Western Alps, and the Sistan melange, Iran. Collaborative project with Samuel Angiboust (Potsdam) and Thomas Pettke (Bern).
- Formation and evolution of cratonic roots - distinguishing metasomatic imprint from primary mantle signatures. Case studies from Kaalvallei and Kirkland Lake xenolith suites. Collaborative project with Dan Schulze (University of Toronto).
- Petrogenesis of ultrahigh-pressure eclogites and garnet peridotites from the Pohorje Mountains, Eastern Alps (NE Slovenia). Collaborative project with Marian Janak (Slovak Academia of Science, Bratislava), Mirijam Vrabec (University of Ljubljana), Niko Froitzheim (University of Bonn)
- Eleri Simpson (PhD project 2015-2019) Squeezing the sponge: the role of serpentinites in subduction zones. Funded by Edinburgh DTP and NERC Habitable Planet consortium
- Magma chamber processes in Batur Volcano. Patricia Findlay (MSc student)
- Origin of adakitic rocks from Colo Volcano, Indonesia. Lucia Andreuttiova (MSc student, finished 2015)
You can find more info on the ionprobe facilities here
, including instrumentation and access.
Contact me for info on any of the following:
- B and Li isotopes in melt inclusions and minerals such as cpx, plag, olivine and tourmaline
- H2O in nominally anhydrous minerals such as olivine and cpx
- CO2, H2O and trace elements in melt inclusions
- Ti in quartz thermometry
- REE and other trace elements in glasses and minerals such as garnet, cpx, zircon
- trace elements in olivine either by ionprobe, LA-ICP-MS or electron microprobe
See under tab 'publications'. Includes some downloadable pdfs.