The Edinburgh Earth Resources benefits from expertise across the School of GeoSciences. Our interdisciplinary research is built on strong core disciplines that include ecology, environmental sciences, geography, geology, geophysics, meteorology and oceanography. With over 370 academics, researchers and research students, we are the largest grouping of GeoScientists in the UK. Our “Earth Systems and Environmental Science” was was ranked top Research Power in “Earth Systems and Environmental Science” in REF 2014.
- Evolution and dynamics of fluid flow in porous media
- Investigating resource formation and extraction techniques from experimental simulation of conditions from Earth’s surface to deep mantle
- Determining the role of coupled processes (eg microbial and geological processes) on the formation, extraction and monitoring of resource development
- Combining 'big data' processing and interpretation with digital rock physics to better constrain resource evaluation and characterising extraction related harzards
- Integrating experimental and modelling data with field studies of natural geological analogues which can act as ‘natural laboratories’