This page is a list of articles, books and websites that I would recommend taking a look at.
For a comprehensive list of classic geomorphology papers, including Gilbert (1877), please visit Martin Hurst's webpage.
In addition, below are a few papers in the Megaflooding/bedrock erosion literature that I find particularly interesting:
- Bretz JH (1923) 'The Channeled Scablands of the Columbia Plateau' Journal of Geology 31, 617-649
- Lamb MP and Dietrich WE (2009) 'The persistence of waterfalls in fractured rock' Geological Society of America Bulletin 121 (7-8), 1123-1134
Recently there has been some discussion in Geomorphology regarding the magnitude of jokulhlaups in the Jokulsa a Fjollum. To read this interesting discussion, take a look at these two papers:
- Lamb MP, Dietrich WE, Aciego SM, DePaolo DJ and Manga M (2008) 'Formation of Box Canyon, Idaho by Megaflood: Implications for Seepage Erosion on Earth and Mars' Science 320, 1037-1070
- Howard DA, Luzzadder-Beach S and Beach T (2012) 'Field evidence and hydraulic modelling of a large Holocene jokulhlaup at Joklusa a Fjollum channel, Iceland' Geomorphology 147-148, 73-85
- Carrivick JL, Tweed FS, Carling O, Alho P, Marren PM, Staines K, Russell AJ, Rushmer EL and Duller R (in press) ‘Discussion of ‘Field evidence and hydraulic modelling of a large Holocene Jokulhlaup at Jokulsa a Fjollum channel, Iceland’ by Douglas Howard, Sheryl Luzzadder-Beach and Timothy Beach, 2012’ Geomorphology
- Anderson RS and Anderson SP (2010) Geomorphology: The Mechanics and Chemistry of Landscapes, Cambridge University Press
Megaflooding and fluvial processes in bedrock channels:
- Burr DM, Carling PA and Baker VR (Editors) (2009) Megaflooding on Earth and Mars, Cambridge University Press
- Tinkler KJ and Wohl EE (Editors) (1998) Rivers Over Rock: Fluvial Processes in Bedrock Channels, Geophysical Monograph 107, AGU
- Evans M and Warburton J (2007) Geomorphology of Upland Peat: Erosion, Form and Landscape Change, RGS-IBG Book Series, Wiley-Blackwell.