Marc J. Metzger
|phone|| +44 131 651 4446|
|address|| GeoSciences, Drummond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9XP|
|office|| Room 2.16|
Marc is Reader in Environment and Society within the Research Institute of Geography and the Lived Environment. He joined Edinburgh University in 2007 as a Senior Research Fellow in Environmental Change Modelling. Before he was a lecturer in Environmental Assessment at Wageningen University in the Netherlands. He studied ecosystem biology between 1995 and 2000, and undertook his PhD in European vulnerability to global change impacts on ecosystem services from 2001-2005, also at Wageningen University. Over the past 10 years Marc has worked in a wide range of interdisciplinary projects focusing on the potential impacts of global environmental change on ecosystems and the services they provide to society.
|global change impacts on ecosystem services|| Global environmental change will cause significant changes in ecosystems and the services they provide. I'm interested in these potential impacts, and the consequences of the impacts for society. |
|foresight analysis||"The most likely future isn't" (Herman Kahn, 1967). I'm therefore keen to develop scenario planning tools to prepare for an uncertain future with global environmental changes.|
|assessing stock and change in ecosystem resources|| Biodiversity is declining rapidly, yet we still don't know the extent or trends of change for many species, habitats and ecosystems. I try to contribute to the development of robust analytical methods to quantify stock and change in these important resources.|
Graphic summary of my scientific papers
Word cloud based on the titles of my journal publications
Some recent papers
- Soteriades A., Murray-Rust D., Trabucco A., Metzger M.J. (in press) Understanding global climate change scenarios through bioclimate stratification. Environmental Research Letters in press.
- Metzger M.J., Murray-Rust D., Houtkamp J., Jensen A., Riviere I.L., Paterson J., Perez-Soba M., Valluri-Nitsch C. (in press) How do Europeans want to live in 2040 ? Citizen visions and their consequences for European land use. Regional Environmental Change in press.
- Levers C., Müller D., Erb K., Haberl H., Jepsen M.R.,Metzger M.J., Meyfroidt P., Plieninger T., Plutzar C., Stürck J., Verburg P.H., Verkerk P.J., Kuemmerle T. (in press) Archetypical patterns and trajectories of land systems in Europe. Regional Environmental Change in press.
- Brown C., Holzhauer S., Metzger M.J., Paterson J.S., Rounsevell M. (in press) Land managers' behaviours modulate pathways to visions of future land systems. Regional Environmental Change in press.
- Thomas H.J.D., Paterson J.S., Metzger M.J. , Sing L. (in press) An evaluation of Scottish woodland grant schemes using site suitability modelling. Land Use Policy in press
- Villoslada M., Bunce R.G.H., Sepp K., Jongman R.H.G., Metzger M.J., Kull T., Raet J., Kuusemets V., Kull A., Leito A. (2017) A framework for habitat monitoring and climate change modelling: construction and validation of the Environmental Stratification of Estonia. Regional Environmental Change 17: 335-349
- Hernes M.I., Metzger M.J. (2017) Understanding local community’s values, worldviews and perceptions in the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere Reserve, Scotland. Journal of Environmental Management 186: 12-23.
- Araya-Munoz D., Metzger, M.J., Stuart N., Wilson A.M.W., Carvajal, D.A (2017) A spatial fuzzy logic approach to urban multi-hazard impact assessment in Concepción, Chile.
Science of the Total Environment 576: 508–519.
- Schmidt K., Walz A., Jones I., Metzger M.J. (2016) The Sociocultural Value of Upland Regions in the Vicinity of Cities in Comparison With Urban Green Spaces. Mountain Research and Development 36: 465-474.
- Araya-Munoz D., Metzger M.J., Stuart N., Wilson A.M.W., Alvarez L. (2016) Assessing urban adaptive capacity to climate change. Journal of Environmental Management 183: 314–324
- Guerra G.A., Metzger M.J. , Maes J., Pinto-Correia, T. (2016) Policy impacts on regulating ecosystem services: looking at the implications of 60 years of landscape change on soil erosion prevention in a Mediterranean silvo-pastoral system. Landscape Ecology 31: 271-290.
- Holman I.P., Harrison P.A., Metzger M.J. (2016) Cross-sectoral impacts of climate and socio-economic change in Scotland - implications for adaptation policy. Regional Environmental Change 16: 97-109.
- Guerra G.A., Maes J., Geijzendorffer I.R., Metzger M.J. , (2016) An assessment of soil erosion prevention by vegetation in Mediterranean Europe: Current trends of ecosystem service provision. Ecological Indicators 60: 213-222.
- Thomas H.J.D., Paterson J.S., Metzger M.J., Sing L. (2015) Towards a research agenda for woodland expansion in Scotland. Forest Ecology and Management 349: 149-161.
- Leito A., Bunce R.G.H, Külvik M., Ojaste I., Raet J., Villoslada M., Leivits M., Kull A., Kuusemets V., Kull T., Metzger M.J, Sepp K. (2015) The potential impacts of changes in ecological networks, land use and climate on the Eurasian crane population in Estonia. Landscape Ecology 30: 887-904
- Vogiatzakis, I., Stirpe M.T., Rickebusch S., Metzger M.J., Xu G., Rounsevell MDA, Bommarco R., Potts S. (2015) Rapid assessment of historic, current and future habitat quality for biodiversity around UK Natura 2000 sites. Environmental Conservation 42: 31-40.
- Gramberger M., Zellmer K., Kok K., Metzger M.J. (2015) Stakeholder integrated research (STIR): a new approach tested in climate change adaptation research. Climatic Change 128: 201-214.
Current research projects