Graham Russell BSc PhD MIEEM
I retired from the University on December 31, 2009, where I was the Garton Lecturer in agriculture, but am still involved with university activities. My background is in ecology and environmental physics, particularly in the context of land use, and increasingly marine, systems and I now work at the interface between scientific knowledge on the one hand and policy making and implementation on the other.
My contact details can be found here
Teaching and research students
I still contribute to MSc teaching including thesis dissertations on marine topics as well as being External Examiner for two MSc programmes at the University of Newcastle. All my PhD students have now graduated successfully and I no longer supervise PhD students.
Sustainable land use systems Before I retired, my major research input was as a co-leader of one of the work packages of EU FP6 integrated project SEAMLESS
and the leader of an integration task force that ensures models can work together and be applied to a wide range of environments. SEAMLESS is a System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling: Linking European Science and Society which involves using models at a range of scales to predict the impact of European policies and other potential changes on European agriculture including its environmental impact. My PhD students worked on the response of farm scale dynamics to climate change, methane emissions from dairy cattle, the Water Framework Directive and agriculture, and the sustainability of agricultural systems and the evolution of farming systems in Venezuela.
My interest in this area began through sailing and that led to membership of the Planning and Environment Committee of the Royal Yachting Association. I am now a member of the plenary group of the Scottish Coastal Forum where I represent recreational users of the seas, the voluntary Planning and Environment Officer for RYA Scotland and a member of the management group of Forth Estuary Forum. I have been closely involved with the development of the RYA/ British Marine Federation Green-Blue
environmental programme in Scotland and have regular contact with other stakeholders involved with Integrated Coastal Zone Management. I was one of the core members of the IEEM working group that wrote the guidelines for Ecological Impact Assessment for coastal and marine areas. Related to these are various working groups and projects on marine renewables, Marine Protected Areas, Marine Spatial Planning and marine and freshwater invasive species, all in Scottish waters.
I was a member of the University's Sustainability and Environmental Group with particular responsibilities for teaching having chaired the University's working group on Sustainability in the Curriculum. I organised the introductory undergraduate course in Sustainability, Society and Environment
- van Gardingen, P.R., Jackson, G.E., Hernandez-Daumas, S., Russell, G. & Sharp, L. (1999). Leaf area index estimation obtained for clumped canopies using hemispherical photographs. Agric. For. Meteorol. 94, 243-257.
- Russell, G., Muetzelfeldt, R.I., Taylor, K. and Terres, J.-M. (1999). Development of a crop knowledge base for Europe. European J. Agron. 11, 187-206.
- Casa, R., Russell, G. and Lo Cascio, B. (2000). Estimation of evapotranspiration from a field of linseed in Central Italy. Agric. For. Meteorol. 104, 289-301.
- Hoad, S.P., Russell, G., Lucas, M.E. and Bingham, I.J. (2001). The management of wheat, barley, and oat root systems. Advances in Agronomy 74, 193-246.
- Russell, G. (2002). Land use in the Lothians. In P.M. Smith, R.O.D. Dixon & M.P. Cochrane (Eds) Plant Life of Edinburgh and the Lothians, pp 464-474. Edinburgh University Press: Edinburgh.
- Negrete Yankelevich S, Fragoso C., Newton A.C., Russell, G. and Heal, O.W. (2006). Succession in a Tropical Montane Cloud Forest in Mexico. Plant and Soil. 286, 123-139.
- Marquez, A., Russell, G., Gonzalez, A., Moreno, J., Garcia, C., Dominguez, C. and Colmenares, O. (2007). A kernel based methodology to analyse farming system intensification processes in Venezuela. Farming Systems Design 2007 An International Symposium on Methodologies on Integrated Analysis on Farm Production Systems. Catania, Italy. ESA/ASA/IEMSS/IFSA
- Rivington M., Miller D., Matthews K.B., Russell G., Bellocchi G., Buchan K. (2008). Downscaling Regional Climate Model estimates of daily precipitation, temperature and solar radiation data for specific locations. Climate Research 35, 181-202.
- Negrete Yankelevich S., Fragoso C., Newton A.C., Russell G. and Heal O.W. 2008. Decomposition and macroinvertebrates in experimental litter along a secondary chronosequence of tropical montane forest. Biology and Fertility of Soils on line first (DOI es 10.1007/s00374-008-0270-x).
- Rivington, M., Miller, D., Matthews, K.B., Russell, G., Bellochi, G. and Buchan, K. (2008). Evaluating Regional Climate Model estimates against site-specific observed data in the UK. Climatic Change 88, 157-185. DOI: 10.1007/s10584-007-9382-9
- Negrete Yankelevich S., Fragoso C., Newton A.C., Russell G. and Heal O.W. (2008). Species-specific characteristics of trees can determine the litter macroinvertebrate community and decomposition process below their canopies. Plant and Soil 307, 83-97. (DOI 10.1007/s11104-008-9585-5).
- Garoufalia, C and Russell, G (2008). An innovative approach to National Park creation: a coastal case study from Scotland. Verlag Dr. Müller, Saarbrücken. 120 pp.
- Rivington M., Matthews K.B., Buchan K., Miller D. Bellochi G and Russell G. (2008). Agro-meteorological metrics for communicating climate change impacts to land managers. Aspects of Applied Biology 88, 85-91.
- Van Ittersum, M., Ewert, F., Wery, J., Heckelei, T., Belhouchette, H., Bergez, J.-E., Hengsdijk, H., Janssen S., Russell, G, Therond, O. (2008). Integrated assessment of agricultural systems – a modular system for agricultural and environmental modelling (SEAMLESS-IF). Italian Journal of Agronomy/ Rivista di Agronomia 3 (supplement), 311-312.
- Casellas E., Therond O., Belhouchette H., Wallach D., Ommen, R.J., Russell G., Ewert F., Hengsdijk M.K., van Ittersum M.K., Adam M., Wery J. (2009). Using a cropping system model for large scale impact assessment in Europe. Proceedings of the conference on Integrated Assessment of Agriculture and Sustainable Development: Setting the Agenda for Science and Policy (AgSAP 2009). Eds MK van Ittersum, J Wolf, HH van Laar. Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands, 10-12 March 2009. Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, pp 200-201.
- Donatelli M., Russell G., Rizzoli A.E. (2009). APES: The Agricultural Production and Externalities Simulator. Proceedings of the conference on Integrated Assessment of Agriculture and Sustainable Development: Setting the Agenda for Science and Policy (AgSAP 2009). Eds M.K. van Ittersum, J. Wolf, H.H. van Laar. Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands, 10-12 March 2009. Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, pp 206-207.
- Oomen R.J., Hengsdijk H., Therond O., Beregez J.E., Russell G., Casellas E., Janssen S., van Ittersum M.K. (2009). Development of generic management rules for crop growth simulation models. Proceedings of the conference on Integrated Assessment of Agriculture and Sustainable Development: Setting the Agenda for Science and Policy (AgSAP 2009). Eds M.K. van Ittersum, J. Wolf, H.H. van Laar. Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands, 10-12 March 2009. Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, pp 232-233.
- Mouratiadou I., Topp F.E., Russell G. (2009). Investigating the economic and water quality effects of the 2003 CAP reform on arable cropping systems: a Scottish case study. Proceedings of the conference on Integrated Assessment of Agriculture and Sustainable Development: Setting the Agenda for Science and Policy (AgSAP 2009). Eds M.K. van Ittersum, J. Wolf, H.H. van Laar. Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands, 10-12 March 2009. Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, pp 488-489.
- Rivington M., Matthews K.B., Buchan K., Miller D., Russell G. (2009). Investigating climate change impacts and adaptation options using integrated assessment methods. Aspects of Applied Biology 93, 85-91.
- Bell, M.J., Wall, E., Russell, G., Simm, G. (2009). Modelling methane output from lactating and dry dairy cows. Aspects of Applied Biology 93, 47-53.
- Mouratiadou, I., Topp, C.F.E., Russell, G. (2009). Meeting the challenges of bio-economic modelling in practice: a catchment study from Eastern Scotland. Aspects of Applied Biology 93, 61-66.
- Donatelli, M., Russell, G., Rizzoli, A.E. et al. (2010). A component-based framework for simulating agricultural production and externalities. In Environmental and Agricultural Modelling. Eds F. Brouwer and M. van Ittersum. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 63-108.
- Mouratiadou, I., Russell G., Topp C., Louhichi K. and Moran D. (2010). Modelling Common Agricultural Policy–Water Framework Directive interactions and cost-effectiveness of measures to reduce nitrogen pollution. Water Science & Technology 61, 2689-2697.
- Morris, I., Couldrick, P., Green, M., Norman, T., Russell, G., Mallows, T., Almada-Villela, P., Edmonds, S., Nash, K., Nottage, A., Yost, L. and Pound, D. (2010). Guidelines for Ecological Impact Assessment in Britain and Ireland – Marine and Coastal. Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, Winchester. http://www.ieem.net/marine-ecia/
- Bell M.J., Wall E., Russell G., Morgan C. and Simm G. (2010). Effect of breeding for milk yield, diet and management on reducing enteric methane emissions in dairy cows. Animal Production Science. 50, 817-826.
- Bell, M.J., Wall, E., Russell, G., Roberts, D.J., Simm, G. (2010). Risk factors for culling in Holstein Friesian dairy cows. The Veterinary Record 167, 238-240.
- Mouratiadou, I., Tarsitano, D., Topp, C., Moran, D. and Russell, G. (2011). Using a bio-economic model to assess the cost-effectiveness of measures against nitrogen pollution. In: Flichman, G. (ed.) Bio-economic Models applied to Agricultural Systems: an Integrated Approach to Relations between Agriculture, Environment, and Natural Resources - Tools for Policy Analysis. Springer, Heidelberg.
- Mouratiadou, I., Russell, G., Topp, C., Louhichi, K. and Moran, D. (2011). Investigating the economic and water quality effects of the 2003 CAP reform on arable cropping systems: A Scottish case study. In: Sorrentino, A., Henke, R. and Severini, S. (eds) The Common Agricultural Policy after the Fischler reform. National implementations, impact assessment and the agenda for future reforms, pp 259-271. Ashgate, Farnham UK.
- Therond A., Hengsdijk H., Casellas, E., Wallach D., Adam M., Belhouchette H., Oomen R., Russell G., Ewert F., Bergez J.-E., Janssen S., Wery J. and van Ittersum M.K. (2011) Using a cropping system model at regional scale: Low data approaches for crop management information and model calibration. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 142, 85-94.